- Faire un lien

Recommandés :
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Ex.92/more brain-teasing

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Ex.92/more brain-teasing
Message de here4u posté le 18-10-2016 à 15:12:15 (S | E | F)
Hello, Dear Friends, hard workers,
Here is the following exercise. I know that some of you, fast workers, have been expecting it eagerly. I hope it won’t disappoint you. It’s still quite short, but dense. It’s not difficult but a anyway, because you’re worth it! Give me your best, as ever!
The collective correction will be online on Sunday October, 30th, late as ever.
Thank you to all of you for the enthusiasm and faithfulness you’ve shown for so many months, and will show again for months to come I know you love your brains to be teased, and here’s some more teasing! I won’t be too hard on you, and will, of course, share THE FORCE with you! Thanks again!

I) Translate into English:
1) Tout le monde a ses propres opinions sur maints sujets, mais doit les oublier pour le bien du groupe. Tous ne savent pas le faire et c’est parfois difficile à supporter.
2) Il voulait quitter le pays, ce qui bouleversait sa mère. Sa petite amie, dont le métier en or était une vraie passion, n’avait pas envie de le suivre à l’étranger.
3) Karen pleurait toujours ces derniers jours, et cela énervait vraiment ses amis ; ils ne comprenaient pas ce qui lui arrivait et avaient de plus en plus envie de la laisser tranquille et d’arrêter de prendre soin de ses affaires.

Maxwell 4) Les faits que nous venons de relater sont purement imaginaires. Toute ressemblance avec des faits réels serait purement fortuite
Maxwell 5) Le candidat d'hier ne m'a pas fait forte impression. Ses connaissances en économie laissent à désirer, et il ne m'a pas paru maîtriser le B.A.-BA de l'informatique. A l'issue de l'entretien, je suis resté sur ma faim. Je t'entends déjà me dire "arrête de faire la fine bouche" ou "ne crache pas dans la soupe", mais je ne veux rien laisser au hasard.
Maxwell 6) Avant d'affirmer quoi que ce soit, tourne ta langue 7 fois dans ta bouche avant de parler et sois certain de ce que tu avances. Cela vaudra mieux à la fois pour les autres mais aussi pour toi-même, non ? (Thank you Maxwell! )

II) Translate into French: (dernier extrait de B. Malamud!)
“They were expensive things, probably had cost him every penny of the hard-earned money he was saving for college. Even supposing he had enough for that, she still couldn’t take his gifts. It wasn’t right, and coming from him, it was somehow, less than not right.
She wanted then and there to go up to his room and leave them at the door with a note, but hadn’t the heart to the very night he had given them to her.
The next evening, after a day of worry, she felt she must return them; and now she wished she had done it before Nat had called, then she might have been more relaxed on the phone.
Helen got down on her hands and knees and reached under the bed for the carton with Frank’s scarf and book in it. It touched her that he had given her such lovely things – so much nicer than anyone else ever had. Nat, at his best, had produced a half-dozen small pink roses.
For gifts you pay, Helen thought. She drew a deep breath, and taking the box went quietly up the stairs. She tapped hesitantly on Frank’s door. He had recognized her step and was waiting behind the door. His fists were clenched, the nails cutting his palms.
Bernard Malamud,The Assistant.

III) Complete the sentences with the prompts given.
1). When the mother confronted her son, she reproached ……….. (+ forme négative)
2) The spy thought his food was poisoned.
The spy feared ..........
3) Paul regretted he hadn’t accepted my suggestion.
Paul wished ............
4) Philip met Daniel 2 years ago.
It’s ....................

That's it! As you'll do it methodically, I know it's going to take you some time...Go for it and don't forget THE FORCE!

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 18-10-2016 22:57

Réponse : Ex.92/more brain-teasing de alpiem, postée le 20-10-2016 à 16:17:36 (S | E)
Ex.92/more brain-teasing READY for correction
hello,thanks for this tremendous game!Here4u and Maxwell.

1) Tout le monde a ses propres opinions sur maints sujets, mais doit les oublier pour le bien du groupe. Tous ne savent pas le faire et c’est parfois difficile à supporter.
Everybody has their own opinion about many a topic, but they must put them to mothball for the sake of the group.
Not averyone knows how to do it and it's sometimes hard to cope with.

2) Il voulait quitter le pays, ce qui bouleversait sa mère. Sa petite amie, dont le métier en or était une vraie passion, n’avait pas envie de le suivre à l’étranger.
He wanted to leave his country which upset his mother. His girlfriend whose job was wonderful and her true passion
was not feeling like following him abroad.

3) Karen pleurait toujours ces derniers jours, et cela énervait vraiment ses amis ; ils ne comprenaient pas ce qui lui arrivait et avaient de plus en plus envie de la laisser tranquille et d’arrêter de prendre soin de ses affaires.
These last days Karen used to be crying and it had really pissed her friends off. They could not understand what was wrong
with her and they were increasingly burning to let her alone and stop short of taking care of her business.

Maxwell 4) Les faits que nous venons de relater sont purement imaginaires. Toute ressemblance avec des faits réels serait purement fortuite.
The facts we have just been relating are purely fictional. Any similarity to real events is strictly coincidental.

Maxwell 5) Le candidat d'hier ne m'a pas fait forte impression. Ses connaissances en économie laissent à désirer, et il ne m'a pas paru maîtriser le B.A.-BA de l'informatique. A l'issue de l'entretien, je suis resté sur ma faim. Je t'entends déjà me dire "arrête de faire la fine bouche" ou "ne crache pas dans la soupe", mais je ne veux rien laisser au hasard.
The yesterday candidate had not made me a strong impression. His background in economics leaves a lot to be desired
and I didn't see him as someone who can harness the A.B.C of computer technology. Following the discussion, I have been left unsatisfied. I'm looking forward to be told: "don't be fussy" or "don't spit in the soup", but I can't leave
anything whatsoever to chance.

Maxwell 6) Avant d'affirmer quoi que ce soit, tourne ta langue 7 fois dans ta bouche avant de parler et sois certain de ce que tu avances. Cela vaudra mieux à la fois pour les autres mais aussi pour toi-même, non ?
Prior to asserting something whatsoever, think twice before speaking and be certain of what you are talking of.
It will go better both for the others but also for yourself, won't it?

1). When the mother confronted her son, she reproached him for not taking account of her advice.
The spy feared his food be poisoned.
Paul wished he had accepted my suggestions
It's been two years since Philip met Daniel.

Réponse : Ex.92/more brain-teasing de jo06, postée le 20-10-2016 à 16:47:48 (S | E)
Hello Here4u,
Thank you very much for this exercise,Thank you too Maxwell
Hello everybody
Ready to be corrected

Translate into English:
Everybody has his own opinions on many topics but they have to be forgotten for the sake of the group. Not everyone knows to do so and it's at times overwhelming.

He wanted to leave the country, which upset his mother. His girlfriend, the golden job of which was a real passion, did not feel like to follow him abroad.

Karen was always crying these last days, and it really irritated her friends; they didn’t understand what happened to her and felt like more and more to leave her alone and stop taking care of her business.

Maxwell 4) Les faits que nous venons de relater sont purement imaginaires. Toute ressemblance avec des faits réels serait purement fortuite
The facts we have just related are purely imaginary. Any resemblance with real facts would be purely accidental.

The yesterday applicant didn’t make that much of impression. His knowledge in economics leaves sometimes to be desired and he didn’t appear to me mastering the basics (ABCs) of computing. At the end of the interview I was left unsatisfied. I already hear you telling me “stop being choosy” or “don’t bite the hand that feeds you”, but I want leave nothing to chance.

Maxwell 6) Avant d'affirmer quoi que ce soit, tourne ta langue 7 fois dans ta bouche avant de parler et sois certain de ce que tu avances. Cela vaudra mieux à la fois pour les autres mais aussi pour toi-même, non ?
Before asserting anything think twice before speaking and be sure what you support. It will be better for the others and also for you at the same time, won’t it be?

“They were expensive things, probably had cost him every penny of the hard-earned money he was saving for college. Even supposing he had enough for that, she still couldn’t take his gifts. It wasn’t right, and coming from him, it was somehow, less than not right.
She wanted then and there to go up to his room and leave them at the door with a note, but hadn’t the heart to the very night he had given them to her.
The next evening, after a day of worry, she felt she must return them; and now she wished she had done it before Nat had called, then she might have been more relaxed on the phone.
Helen got down on her hands and knees and reached under the bed for the carton with Frank’s scarf and book in it. It touched her that he had given her such lovely things – so much nicer than anyone else ever had. Nat, at his best, had produced a half-dozen small pink roses.
For gifts you pay, Helen thought. She drew a deep breath, and taking the box went quietly up the stairs. She tapped hesitantly on Frank’s door. He had recognized her step and was waiting behind the door. His fists were clenched, the nails cutting his palms.

C’étaient des choses de valeur, qui lui avaient probablement coutées chaque centime de l’argent durement gagné qu’il épargnait pour l’université. Même en supposant qu’il en avait assez, elle ne pouvait prendre ses cadeaux. Ce n’était pas raisonnable, et venant de sa part, c’était en quelque sorte moins que raisonnable.
Elle voulait à ce moment là monter à sa chambre et les laisser devant la porte avec un mot, mais elle n’en n’avait pas le cœur la nuit même qu’il les lui avait donnés.
Le soir suivant, après un jour de soucis, elle sentit qu’elle devait les rendre ; et elle regrettait maintenant de ne pas l’avoir fait avant que Nat appelle, elle aurait été plus détendue au téléphone.
Helene s’agenouillât et s’allongeât sous le lit pour récupérer le carton avec l’écharpe et le livre de Frank. Elle était touchée qu’il lui ait donné de si belles choses- tellement plus jolies que personne d’autre n’a jamais eu. Nat, au mieux, avait apporté une demi-douzaine de petites roses roses.
Pour les cadeaux que vous payez, pensait Helene. Elle prit une profonde inspiration, et prenant la boite monta calmement les escaliers. Elle frappa avec hésitation à la porte de Frank. Il avait reconnu son pas et attendait derrière la porte. Ses points étaient serrés et les ongles incrustés dans les paumes.

When the mother confronted her son she reproached him to not tidy his room.

The spy feared that the food might be poisoned.

Paul wished he had accepted my suggestion.

It’s two years since Philip and Daniel met.

Réponse : Ex.92/more brain-teasing de taiji43, postée le 21-10-2016 à 11:27:33 (S | E)
Dear Here and Maxwell
A great hello a thank you for this entralling TRY
MY TRY IS FINIHED IT WAS NOT REALLY A CUP OF TEA THANK YOU SO MUCH

Everyone has their own views on many topics, however must forget it for the sake of the group. All of them can’t do it and sometimes it is hard to bear…

He wanted to leave the country what had torn up his mother His girlfriend whose her golden job was a real passion didn’t like following him abroad

Karen was still crying these past few days and that had really irritated her friends; they couldn’t understand what was the matter with her and increasingly wanted to leave her alone and stop taking good care of her own business

Maxwell 4) Les faits que are nous venons de relater sont purement imaginaires. Toute ressemblance avec des faits réels serait purement fortuite
The facts, we have just been relating are pure fantasy. Any reference to real events would be purely coincidental.

The applicant of yesterday didn’t make me a strong impression.. His knowledge in economics is not as it could be and he didn’t strike me as mastering the ABC of computer technology. On the outcome of this job interview, I was left unsatisfied. I am already hear you saying : “stop turning your nose up” “ or don’t bite the hand that feeds you” However I am taking no chances.

Maxwell 6) Avant d'affirmer quoi que ce soit, tourne ta langue 7 fois dans ta bouche avant de parler et sois certain de ce que tu avances. Cela vaudra mieux à la fois pour les autres mais aussi pour toi-même, non ? (Thank you Maxwell!
Before saying anything, think twice before you speak and be quite certain what you are putting forward.about
It will be better both for the others and for yourself besides, won’t it ?

C’étaient des articles chers probablement qui lui avaient coûté chaque sou d’un argent durement gagné et économisé longuement pour payer l’université. Même en supposant qu’il avait assez d’argent pour dépenser une telle somme, elle ne pouvait pas de surcroît accepter ses cadeaux. Ce n’était pas convenable, et venant de lui, c’était en quelque sorte encore plus qu’inconvenant. Elle voulait séance tenante monter à sa chambre et laisser les cadeaux devant la porte avec un mot, car elle n’en n’avait pas eu le cœur ,la nuit même où il les lui avait donnés
Le soir suivant, après une journée d’inquiétude, elle ressentit l’obligation qu’elle devait les rendre ; et maintenant elle regrettait de ne pas l’avoir fait avant que Nat l’ait appelé, elle aurait pu, alors, être plus détendue au téléphone..
Elle se mit à quatre pattes et tendit le bras pour atteindre le carton contenant le châle et le livre de Frank. Cela la touchait qu’il lui ait donné de si jolies choses. Tellement plus belles que n’importe qui d’autre auparavant n’avait jamais eu. Nat, au mieux avait apporté une demi douzaine de petites roses roses
Hélène songea : Tout cadeau reçu se paie d’un façon ou d’une autre. Elle soupira profondément, et monta sans bruit les escaliers. Il avait reconnu sa démarche et attendait derrière la porte .Il avait les poings serrés, ses ongles blessant ses paumes de mains

1). When the mother confronted her son, she reproached him for not showing up her quite often……….. (+ forme négative)
The spy feared , the food might be poisoned
Paul wished .he had accepted my suggestion.
It’s .two years since Daniel and Philip met each other

Réponse : Ex.92/more brain-teasing de ouvea, postée le 21-10-2016 à 13:44:59 (S | E)
Hello Here4u,
Hello everybody,
Prêt à être corrigé.

Everybody has his own opinions on many topics, but has to forget them for the group's weal.
Not all of them know how to deal with and sometimes it's difficult to stand it.

He wanted to leave the country what distressed his mother.
His girlfriend whose golden job was a real passion, didn't feel inclined to follow him abroad.

Karen was still crying these last days and that was really irritating her friends ; they couldn't understand what was happening to her and more and more they were feeling like leaving her alone and not mind anymore of her own business.

Maxwell 4) Les faits que nous venons de relater sont purement imaginaires. Toute ressemblance avec des faits réels serait purement fortuite.
The facts that we've just related are pure fantasy.
Any similarity to real events would be strictly coincidental.

Yesterday, the applicant didn't make me a strong impression. His economics knowledge leave much to be desired, moreover he didn't seem to me mastered the basics of data processing.
At the end of the interview, I was left hungry for answers. I can already hear you telling me
"stop being fussy" or "don't bite the hand that feeds you" but I don't want to leave anything to chance.

Think twice before speaking and be sure you know what you are talking about.
It will be better both for the others but also for yourself, won't it ?

Thank you Maxwell

"C'était des choses coûteuses, probablement que cela lui avait coûté chaque sou durement gagné et qu'il épargnait pour l'université. Même à supposer qu'il avait les moyens pour cela, elle ne pouvait quand même pas accepter ses cadeaux. Ce n'était pas bien, de plus venant de lui, c'était d'une certaine manière moins que pas bien.
Séance tenante, elle voulut monter jusqu'à la chambre de Franck et laisser le tout, devant sa porte avec un mot mais elle n'en eut pas le cœur la nuit même où il les lui avait offerts.
Le soir suivant, après avoir passé une journée préoccupée, elle pensa qu'elle devait les rendre ; et maintenant elle aurait aimé les avoir rendus avant que Nat l'appelle car elle aurait pu être plus détendue au téléphone.
Helen se mit à quatre pattes sous le lit pour atteindre le colis qui contenait l'écharpe et le livre de Franck. Elle était touchée qu'il lui ait offert de si jolies choses - bien plus jolies que quiconque ne lui avait jamais offertes. Nat, au meilleur de lui-même, avait produit et ensuite lui avait offert une demi-douzaine de petites roses roses.
Pour les cadeaux, tu paies, pensait Helen. Elle prit une profonde inspiration, et prenant la boîte, elle monta les escaliers sans faire de bruit. Avec hésitation elle frappa à la porte de Franck. Il avait reconnu son pas et attendait derrière la porte. Ses poings étaient si fermement serrés que ses ongles lui rentraient dans la paume des mains.
L'assistant

When the mother confronted her son, she reproached him for not being on time at school.
The spy feared that his food could be poisoned.
Paul wished he hadn't accepted my suggestion.
It has been two years since Philip met Daniel.
Here4u

Réponse : Ex.92/more brain-teasing de , postée le 22-10-2016 à 05:04:21 (S | E)
So it seems necessary to tell if we're done ot not with the exercise, right ?: this homework is done

Bonjour,
Je suis nouvelle et très contente de tous ces exercices de traduction, c'est fantastique !!
Il y a une mine d'informations sur ce forum
Ces exercices sont stimulants et très amusants :

1)Everybody has its own opinion about many subjects but has to put them aside for the well being of the group.Not everyone knows how to do that and it's sometimes difficult to stand it .
2)He wanted to leave the country, that's what upset (can upset be conjugated to upsat ?) his mother. His girlfriend, whose perfect job was a real passion, didn't want to follow him abroad.
3)Karen was always crying lately, and it was really annoying her friends: They didn't understand what was going on with her and felt more and more the need to leave her alone and stop taking care of her business;
4)the facts we just reported are purely imaginary. All resemblance with any real facts are completely coincidental.
5)Yesterday's candidate hasn't impressed me. His knowledge in economy leaves a lot to be desired, and he didn't seem to master the basics of computer science.
In the end of the interview I was left a bit dissatisfied. I'll hear you say «  stop being finicky ???» or «  you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you ??? » but I don't want to leave anything to chance
6)before asserting anything you should think carefully before you speak and be certain about what you say. It's better for others as well as for yourself, don't you think ?

(je vois des fautes de grammaire que je vais corriger )
II)C'était des choses chères, probablement que cela lui avait coûté chaque centimes qu'il avait si durement gagné et mis de côté pour l'université.
À supposer= supposé qu'il avait assez pour ça, elle ne pouvait quand même pas accepter son cadeau. Ce n'était pas juste et venant de lui, c'était d'une certaine manière, encore moins juste.
Elle voulait séance tenante, monter jusqu'à sa chambre et les laisser devant sa porte avec un mot, mais n'avait pas le courage de le faire la même nuit qu'il les lui avait offert .
Le lendemain soir, après une journée de mourrons, elle sentait qu'elle devait les lui remettre: À présent, elle souhaitait l'avoir fait avant que Nat appelle, car elle aurait peut-être été plus calme au téléphone.
Hélène se mit à quatre pattes pour atteindre le carton sous le lit, qui contenait l'écharpe et le livre de Frank.
Elle était touchée qu'il ait donné d'aussi jolies choses, tellement plus jolies que ce qu'on avait pu lui offrir auparavant.
Nat, au mieux, avait produit une demi-douzaine de petite roses . Pour des cadeaux pour lesquels on paye, pensa Hélene ???.
Elle respira profondément et la boite sous le bras elle prit doucement les escaliers.
Elle frappa avec hésitation sur la porte de Frank. Il avait reconnu ses pas et attendait derrière la porte. Ses poings étaient fermés, ses ongles rentraient dans ses paumes.

1). When the mother confronted her son, she reproached …him he didn't want to stay with her…….. (+ forme négative)
The spy feared ...his food might be poisonous.......
Paul wished ......he had accepted my suggestion......
It’s ...been 2 years since philip and daniel met .................

beaucoup d'expressions françaises que je n'ai jamais utilisées en anglais, et que j'ai dû rechercher sur le dictionnaire. Ne sachant absolument pas si ces expressions sont vraiment utilisées ni comment les utiliser, j'ai fait au mieux .
Et puis la partie "avertissement" avant le film sur les situations qui seraient fortuites, j'ai déjà lu ça en anglais mais j'ai complètement oublié .

Réponse : Ex.92/more brain-teasing de djim21, postée le 22-10-2016 à 10:18:50 (S | E)
Hello Here4u,
Thank you and Maxwell for your brain-teasing exercices and the Force that you give us to share.
Have a nice week-end.
Ready for marking

Everybody has its own opinions on many subjects, but has to forget them for the good of the group. Not all know do it and it’s sometimes hard to bear.

He wanted to leave the country, which was overwhelming his mother. His girlfriend, whose the golden trade was a real passion, wasn’t fancy to join him abroad.

Karen was always crying these last few days, and this was doing her friends irritated ; they didn’t understand which was happening to her and are becoming more and more inclined just to leave her alone and to stop taking good care of her matters.

The facts we have just related are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to reality will be a result of pure chance.

Yesterday, the candidate didn’t feel me like good. His economics knowledges are weak, and it didn’t seem to me he was understanding the informatics B.A.-BA. At the end of the interview, I left a bit disappointed. I’m already hearing you telling me « Stop to be choosy » or « don’t bite the hand that feeds you », but I don’t want to leave something to chance.

Before asserting anything, turn your tongue 7 times in your mouth before speaking and be sure of your words. It will be much better for the others but for yourself too, will not ?

« C’étaient des choses chères, qui avaient dû probablement lui coûter tout l’argent qu’il avait durement économisé pour ses études à l’université. Et même en supposant que ce n’était pas le cas, elle ne pouvait pas encore accepter ses cadeaux. Ce n’était pas bien, et venant de lui, il y avait d’une manière ou d’une autre, quelque chose qui clochait.
Elle voulut sur le champ se rendre à sa chambre et les laisser devant la porte avec un mot, mais elle n’en eut pas le cœur pour la première nuit qu’il les lui avait donnés.
Le soir suivant, après toute une journée préoccupée, elle sentait qu’elle devait les rendre ; et maintenant, elle regrettait de ne pas l’avoir fait avant que Nat l’eut appelée, elle aurait été alors plus détendue au téléphone.
Helen se mit à quatre pattes et chercha sous le lit la boîte contenant le châle et le livre de Frank. Elle fut touchée qu’il lui eut offert d’aussi jolies choses, les plus belles qu’elle n’avait jamais eues. Nat, au mieux, lui avait fait une demi-douzaine de petites roses.
On paie pour des cadeaux, pensa Helen. Elle prit une profonde inspiration, et saisissant la boîte monta les escaliers doucement. Elle tapota avec hésitation sur la porte de Frank. Il avait reconnu ses pas et attendait derrière la porte. Il serrait ses poings, les ongles blessant ses paumes.

1). When the mother confronted her son, she reproached … to him he hadn’t cleaned his bedroom. (+ forme négative)

The spy feared ..… his food might be poisoned.

Paul wished .....… he had accepted my suggestion.

It’s .......… since 2 years that Philip met Daniel.

Réponse : Ex.92/more brain-teasing de maxwell, postée le 22-10-2016 à 16:59:22 (S | E)
FINISHED
Hello Here4U
Thanks a lot for your choice of this lovely story. If this is the last excerpt, I think I'll read the book !
Have a nice week

Everyone has his own opinions on many topics, but must forget about them for the group's sake. Not everyone can do it, and it's sometimes hard to bear.

He wanted to leave the country, which was moving her mother deeply. His girlfriend, whose plum job was a true passion, didn't feel like following him abroad.

These last few days, Karen would always cry, and that was really annoying her friends ; They didn't understand what was happening to her and more and more wanted to leave her alone and stop taking care of her affairs.

4) Les faits que nous venons de relater sont purement imaginaires. Toute ressemblance avec des faits réels serait purement fortuite
The facts that have been narrated are purely fictitious. Any resemblance to real facts would be purely fortuitous.

5) Le candidat d'hier ne m'a pas fait forte impression. Ses connaissances en économie laissent à désirer, et il ne m'a pas paru maîtriser le B.A.-BA de l'informatique. A l'issue de l'entretien, je suis resté sur ma faim. Je t'entends déjà me dire "arrête de faire la fine bouche" ou "ne crache pas dans la soupe", mais je ne veux rien laisser au hasard.
Yesterday's candidate hasn't left a lasting impression on me. His knowledge in economics leaves much to be desired and he didn't seem to master the ABCs of computer science. At the end of the interview, I was left a bit hungry for more. I can already hear you saying "Stop being demanding" or "Don't bite the hand that feeds you", but I will leave nothing to chance.

6) Avant d'affirmer quoi que ce soit, tourne ta langue 7 fois dans ta bouche avant de parler et sois certain de ce que tu avances. Cela vaudra mieux à la fois pour les autres mais aussi pour toi-même, non ?
Before asserting anything, think carefully before you speak and get your facts right. It will be better both for the others and yourself, won't it ?

C'étaient des affaires onéreuses, qui lui avaient probablement coûté tout l'argent qu'il mettait péniblement de côté pour l'université. Même en supposant qu'il avait suffisamment d'argent pour ses études, elle ne pouvait quand même pas accepter ses cadeaux. Ce n'était pas sain, et venant de lui, d'une certaine manière, ça l'était encore moins.
Elle voulut alors là, immédiatement monter jusqu'à sa chambre, et laisser les présents à sa porte avec un mot, mais elle n'eut pas le courage de le faire la nuit-même où il les lui avait offerts.
Le lendemain soir, après une journée de tracas, elle sentit qu'elle devait les rendre ; et alors elle souhaita quelle l'eût fait avant que Nat eût appelé, car alors, elle aurait pu se sentir plus décontractée au téléphone.
Hélène se mit à quatre pattes, et tendit le bras pour attraper, sous le lit, le carton contenant l'écharpe et le livre de Frank. Cela l'émut qu'il lui eût offert de si belles choses - tellement plus jolies que quiconque ne l'eût jamais fait. Nat, dans le meilleur des cas, avait juste donné une demi-douzaine de petites roses roses.
Pour des cadeaux, il faut payer, pensa Hélène. Elle inspira profondément, et prenant la boîte, monta silencieusement les marches. Elle tapa à la porte de Frank avec hésitation. Il avait reconnu son pas et attendait derrière la porte. Ses poings étaient serrés et ses ongles incisaient les paumes de ses mains.

1) When the mother confronted her son, she reproached him for not seeing her for almost 20 years.
The spy feared that his food might be poisoned.
Paul wished he had accepted my suggestion.
It’s been 2 years since Philip met Daniel.

Réponse : Ex.92/more brain-teasing de maya92, postée le 24-10-2016 à 17:25:54 (S | E)
Hello Here4u,

I – Into English
1 – Everybody has their own opinions on many subjects but has to forget them for the sake of the group. Some can’t do it and it may be hard to bear
2 – He wanted to leave the country and that upset his mother. His girlfriend whose golden job was a real passion did not feel like following him abroad
3 – Karen went on crying those last days and that really got on her friends’ nerves. They did not understand what happened with her and were just about to leave her in peace and to stop meddling in her business
4 – The facts we have just stated are purely fictitious. Any resemblance to real facts would be accidental
5 – The candidate I saw yesterday did not impress me a lot.. His knowledge of economics is not the best and he does not seem to master the ABC of computing. At the end of the interview I remained unsatisfied. I can hear you telling me “Stop turning your nose up” or “don’t sneeze at it” but I don’t want to leave anything to chance
6 – Count to ten before saying anything and be sure of what you advance. It’d be better for the others and for yourself, wouldn’t it ?

II – In French
They were expensive things, probably had cost him every penny of the hard-earned money he was saving for college. Even supposing he had enough for that, she still couldn’t take his gifts. It was not right, and coming from him, it was somehow, less than not right. She wanted then and there to go up to his room and leave them at the door with a note, but hadn’t the heart to the very night he had given them to her. The next evening, after a day of worry, she felt she must return them ; and now she wished she had done it before Nat has called, then she might have been more relaxed on the phone. Helen got down on her hands and knees and reached under the bed for the carton with Frank’s scarf and book in it. It touched her that he had given her such lovely things – so much nicer than anyone else ever had. Nat, at his best, had produced a half-dozen small pink roses. For gifts you pay, Helen thought. She drew a deep breath, and taking the box went quietly up the stairs. She tapped hesitantly on Frank’s door. He had recognized her step and was waiting behind the door. His fists were clenched, the nails cutting his palms.

C’était des cadeaux vraiment chers qui avaient dû lui couter tout l’argent qu’il avait mis de côté pour l’université. Même en supposant qu’il ait eu les moyens de le faire elle ne pouvait quand même pas les accepter. Ca ne serait pas bien et venant de lui ce serait encore pire.
Elle avait envie de monter immédiatement dans sa chambre et de les déposer devant sa porte avec un petit mot mais elle n’eut pas le cœur de le faire le soir même où il les lui avait offerts.
Le lendemain soir, après avoir passé la journée à se ronger les sangs, elle jugea qu’il était temps de les rendre. Elle aurait dû le faire avant que Nat ne l’appelle, elle aurait sans doute été plus détendue au téléphone.
Helen se mit à quatre pattes et attrapa sous le lit le carton contenant l’écharpe et le livre de Frank. Ca la touchait qu’il lui ait offert d’aussi jolies choses – les plus jolies qu’elle ait jamais reçues. Nat lui avait au mieux offert une demi-douzaine de petites roses roses. Pour faire des cadeaux il faut payer, songea Helen. Elle prit une profonde inspiration, saisit la boîte et monta rapidement l’escalier. Hésitante, elle frappa à la porte de Frank. Il avait reconnu son pas et attendait derrière la porte, les poings serrés, les ongles enfoncés dans les paumes.

III – Complete the sentences
1 – When the mother confronted her son, she reproached him not to have come and see her
2 – The spy feared that his food might have been poisoned
3 – Paul wished he had accepted my suggestion
4 – It’s had been two years since Philip met Daniel

Here we are, finished...sacré Bernard Malamud pas facile à traduire... Thank u dear Here4u

Réponse : Ex.92/more brain-teasing de tereda, postée le 25-10-2016 à 10:53:07 (S | E)
Hello everyone, Hello HERE4U
This is my try, ready to be corrected

1. Every one has his own opinions on many topics, but we must forget them in the common interest. Not everyone can do it and it's sometimes difficult to bear.
2. He wanted to expatriate, which upset completely his mother. His girl friend, whose wonderful job was a real passion, didn't have any wish to follow him abroad.
3. Karen was always crying these last days, that really annoyed her friends, who didn't understand what had been happening, they had more and more the wish to let her, quiet, and stop to take care of her problems.

Maxwell 4. The facts we have just related are purely imaginary, all resemblance with real events would be quite accidental.
Maxwell 5. The candidate we have seen yesterday didn't let me a strong impression. His knowledge in Economics are unsatisfactory, and he seems not to manage the basics of computing. At the end of the interview, I have been left unsatisfied ; I hear you say "stop being choosy" or "do not spit in the soup," but I do not want to leave anything to chance.
Maxwell 6. Before claiming anything, you should count to ten and be sure of what you are saying, it would be better not only for the others, but also for you, don't you believe ?
Maxwell

II) Translate into French:
C'étaient des choses très chères, qui lui avaient probablement coûté chaque centime durement gagné et mis de côté pour le collège. A supposer même qu'il avait eu assez pour ça, elle ne pouvait toujours pas accepter ses cadeaux. Ce n'était pas correct et venant de lui, c'était en quelque sorte encore moins que correct !
Elle voulut alors monter à sa chambre et les laisser à la porte avec un mot, mais elle n'eut pas le cœur à ça, le soir même où il les lui avait offert.
Le lendemain soir, après une journée d'inquiétude ( de questionnement) , elle pensait qu'il fallait les lui retourner ; et maintenant, elle aurait voulu l'avoir fait avant que Nat n'appelle, alors, elle aurait été beaucoup plus tranquille au téléphone.
Helen se glissa à quatre pattes pour aller sous le lit, et atteindre le paquet de Frank avec l'écharpe et le livre dedans. Ça la touchait qu'il ait pu lui offrir de si jolies choses - les plus belles que personne n'ait jamais reçu avant. Nat, au meilleur de lui-même, avait offert une demi douzaine de petites roses roses.
Tout présent a un coût, pensa Hélène.
Elle prit une profonde respiration, et prenant le paquet elle monta tranquillement les escaliers. Elle frappa timidement à la porte de Frank. IL avait reconnu son pas et attendait derrière la porte. Les poings serrés, ses ongles s'enfonçaient dans la paume de ses mains.
THE ASSISTANT.

1) When the mother confronted her son, she reproached not to have given him a best education. (+ forme négative)
The spy feared ...his food had been poisoned.
Paul wished ......he had accepted my suggestion.
It’s ..been 2 years that Philip met Daniel

Thanks a lot HEREU4 , always very interesting to do your exercices.

Réponse : Ex.92/more brain-teasing de joe39, postée le 26-10-2016 à 14:28:43 (S | E)
Hello dear here4u,
Here is my try, ready to be corrected.
Everyone has their own opinions on many subjects, but they must set them aside for the group's sake. Not everyone are able to do it and this is the reason why sometimes it's difficult to act accordingly.
He wanted to leave the country, thus letting his mother down. His girl, whos job was a plum job , didn't want to follow him abroad.
Karen always was crying all day long in the last few days and that really unnerved her friends; they didn't understand what was up with her and were getting more and more tempted to leave her alone and stop taking care of her business.

The events we have just reported are merely imaginary. Any resemblance to real occurrences is purely coincidental.
Yesterday's candidate didn't make a strong impression on me. His knowledges of economics are weak and didn't seem to me mastering the BA-IT .
After the interview I was disappointed. At the end of the interview I was disappointed. I guess you tell me "Don't complain!" or "Don't bite the hand that feeds you", but I don't want to leave anything up to chance
Before you assert anything, you'd better think twice before speaking and be sure about what you're bringing forward/bringing into question. That will be better at the same time for the others as well as for yourself, You got it?

C'étaient des choses tellement coûteuses qui lui avaient coûté probablement chaque centime d'argent durement gagné qu'il était en train d'économiser pour l'Université. Même à supposer qu'il en eût eu assez pour les acheter, toutefois elle ne pouvait pas accepter ses cadeaux,, Cela n'était pas juste et, venant de lui, l'aurait été d'une certaine manière, encore moins que juste. Elle voulait immédiatement aller à sa chambre et les laisser à la porte avec un mot, mais elle n'eut pas le cœur de faire ça, la soir même où il les lui avait donné. Le lendemain soir, après une journée d'inquiétude, elle sentait qu'elle devaitles rendre; et maintenant elle aurait voulu, qu'elle l'eut l'avoir fait avant Nat l'appelât, ainsi elle aurait pu être plus détendue au téléphone. Helen se mit à quatre pattes et atteignit sous le lit le carton contenant l'écharpe et le livre de Frank. Il l'avait émue de lui donner ces belles choses - beaucoup plus belles que quiconque eut jamais eu/ que quiconque lui eût elle jamais donné. Nat, à son meilleur avait produit une demi-douzaine de petites roses rose. Pour les cadeaux tu payes, pensa Helen. Elle prit une profonde inspiration et, en prenant la boite, elle monta tranquillement l'escalier. Elle tapota timidement à la porte de Frank. Il avait reconnu son pas at attendait derrière la porte. Ses poings étaient serrés, les ongles coupaient ses paumes.
When the mother confronted her son, she reproached him for not having tidied up his room.
The spy feared his food could have been poisoned.........
Paul wished .he had accepted my suggestion...........
It’s been two years since Philip met Daniel...................

You were right, the exercise was really a more brain-teasing one. Notwithstanding with I do hope I was up to the task, in spite of some/several mistakes I surely made.
I thank you very much for this useful work and remain,
wishing you a great weekend.
So long
Joe39

-------------------
Modifié par joe39 le 31-10-2016 18:32

Réponse : Ex.92/more brain-teasing de here4u, postée le 27-10-2016 à 11:14:20 (S | E)
Hello You All!

bienvenue à learnenglish
Je commence à envoyer les corrections individuelles aujourd'hui ! Il reste trois jours aux hésitants pour publier ... (et à Icare pour me recopier son brouillon !
Bon courage pendant ces vacances ...

Réponse : Ex.92/more brain-teasing de icare29, postée le 27-10-2016 à 13:10:05 (S | E)
Hello Here4u , and all hardworkers , here is my work ...OK FOR CORRECTION
Thanks to Here4u and Maxwell

1) Everybody has his own opinion about many topics,but has to forget it for the good of the group.
Not every knows to do it and that is sometimes difficult to bear it
2) He wanted to leave the country that deeply upsetted his mother . His girlfriend , whose lucrative job was a real passion, didn't feel like following him abroad
3) Karen was crying again and again these last days and that really irritated her friends; They didn't understand what happened to her and felt like more and more leaving her alone and stopping to take care of her business

Maxwell_4)the facts we have just related are purely imaginary. Any ressemblance with real facts are enterely accidental. Maxwell 5) The yesterday applicant didn't made me a strong impression .His knowledge in economics leaves a lot to be desired and he sounds not manage the B.A-BA of computing. At the end of the interview I left rather disappointed. I can hear you telling me "stop be finiky" or" don't bite the hand that feeds you", but I don't want nothing to be left to chance.
Maxwell 6) Before affirming anything, talk about saying things quietly to yourself first and be sure of what you are asserting. That will be better not only for the others but also for yourself , won't it.

II) Translate into French
They were expensive things, probably had cost him every penny of the hard-earned money he was saving for college. Even supposing he had enough for that, she still couldn't take his gifts. It wasn't right, and coming from him, it was somehow, less than not right.
She wanted then and there to go up to his room and leave them at the door with a note, but hadn't the heart to the very night he had given them to her.
Helen got down on her hands and knees and reached under the bed for the carton with Frank's scarf and book in it. It touched her that he had given her such lovely things ? so much nicer than anyone else ever had. Nat, at his best, had produced a half-dozen small pink roses.
For gifts you pay, Helen thought. She drew a deep breath, and taking the box went quietly up the stairs. She tapped hesitantly on Frank's door. He had recognized her step and was waiting behind the door. His fists were clenched, the nails cutting his palms.

Les deux cadeaux offerts représentaient à eux deux une forte somme d'argent. Frank avait dû probablement travailler très dur pour économiser centime après centime l'argent nécessaire pour couvrir les frais de son université. Mais même s'il n'en avait pas été ainsi, elle ne se sentait pas encore prête à accepter ses cadeaux . Ce n'était pas très convenable et venant de lui encore moins convenable.
Elle voulut ,à partir de ce moment-là ,monter à l'étage et laisser les cadeaux derrière la porte de la chambre de Frank avec un mot d'explication, mais elle n'eut pas le courage de les déposer la nuit même où Frank les lui avait offerts...
La soirée suivante ,après un journée remplie d'inquiétude, elle se sentit dans l'obligation de les lui rapporter. Elle regrettait maintenant de ne pas l'avoir déjà fait avant l'appel téléphonique de Nat , elle aurait été bien plus à l'aise avec lui au téléphone .
Se mettant à quatre pattes Helen fit glisser du dessous du lit le paquet dans lequel se trouvaient l'écharpe en soie et la copie de l'oeuvre de Shakespeare.
. Elle fut émue à l'idée que Frank avait pu lui donner de si beaux cadeaux avec une gentillesse jamais égalée par aucune autre personne. Par comparaison ,Nat ne lui avait offert qu'une demi-douzaine de petites roses roses...
Offrir un cadeau n'est jamais un acte gratuit, pensa Helen . Elle respira profondément et prenant la boite, elle gravit d'un pas tranquille les marches de l'escalier. Elle frappa à la porte , hésitante. Frank avait reconnu ses pas et il l'attendait derrière la porte ,les poings serrés et les ongles entaillant la paume de la main.....

1). When the mother confronted her son, she reproached him for not Learning the irregular English verbs by heart .In his last exercise, he still made lots of mistakes , it's unbearable ( Miss here4u his teacher is absolutely furious )
The spy feared that the food might have been poisoned........
3) Paul regretted he hadn't accepted my suggestion.
Paul wished he had accepted his suggestion...........
It has been 2 years since Philips and Daniel met each other...............

Réponse : Ex.92/more brain-teasing de , postée le 27-10-2016 à 13:14:41 (S | E)
Merci Here4u pour ce message de bienvenue

Réponse : Ex.92/more brain-teasing de here4u, postée le 27-10-2016 à 13:42:21 (S | E)
Hello !

You're REALLY welcome, , learnenglish...

Quant à Icare, il n'y avait pas d'urgence immédiate ni vitale !

Réponse : Ex.92/more brain-teasing de mamou3, postée le 29-10-2016 à 08:37:50 (S | E)
Hello Here4u, Hello everybody !
Thank you for these new exercises !

I. Into English
1. Everyone has their own opinions on many subjects but has to forget them for the good of the group. Not everyone can do it and it's sometimes difficult to bear.
2. He intended to leave the country which turned his mother upside down. His girl friend whose gold job was a real passion didn't want to follow him abroad.
3. Karen was still crying in these last days and it's really annoyed her friends : they couldn't understand what was happening to her and had more and more fancy leaving her in peace and stopping to take care of her business.
M4. The facts that we've just talked about are simply imaginary. Any similary with real events would be purely fortuitous.
M5. The candidate yesterday didn't make me a lasting impression. His knowledge in econmics leaves a lot to desire and he didn't seem to master the ABC of computer science. At the end of the interview, I left a bit hungry for more. I already hear you tell me "stop turning you nose up" or "don't bite the hand that feeds you" but I want leave nothing to chance.
M6. Before saying anything, think carefully before you speak and be sure what you advance. It will be better both for others but also yourself, right ?

II. En français

C'étaient des choses chères qui lui avaient probablement coûté chaque centime de l'argent durement gagné qu'il avait mis de côté pour le collège. Même en supposant qu'il avait assez pour ça, elle ne pouvait pas continuer à accepter ses cadeaux. Ce n'était pas bien et, venant de lui, c'était en quelque sorte encore moins bien.
Elle désirait monter dans sa chambre sur le champ et les laisser à la porte avec un petit mot mais elle n'avait pas le cœur à le faire la nuit-même où il lui avait donnés.
Le lendemain soir, après une journée d'inquiétude, elle sentit qu'elle devait lui rendre, maintenant elle souhaitait l'avoir déjà fait avant que Nathan n'ait appelé, elle aurait été alors plus détendue au téléphone.
Helen s'agenouilla et en appui sur les mains atteignit le carton sous le lit qui contenait l'écharpe et le livre de Frank. Ça l'avait touché qu'il lui ait offert de si jolies choses, tellement plus belles que quiconque ait jamais reçu. Le plus que Nathan lui ait jamais donné était une demi-douzaine de roses roses. Pour des cadeaux, il faut payer pensa Helen. Elle prit une profonde inspiration et prenant la boite monta tranquillement les escaliers. Elle tapota avec hésitation à la porte de Frank. Il avait reconnu son pas et attendait derrière la porte. Ses poings étaient serrés, les ongles enfoncés dans la paume de ses mains.

1. When the mother confronted her son, she reproached him for not telling the truth.
2. The spy feared of being poisoned by his food.
3. Paul wished he had accepted my suggestion.
4. It has been 2 years since Philip met Daniel.

Thank you again Here4u and Maxwell ! - My try can be corrected.

Réponse : Ex.92/more brain-teasing de here4u, postée le 29-10-2016 à 21:22:18 (S | E)
hello !
Toutes les corrections individuelles ont maintenant été envoyées ... Il reste 24 h aux timides pour participer ! Bon courage !

Réponse : Ex.92/more brain-teasing de here4u, postée le 30-10-2016 à 23:46:00 (S | E)
Hello Dear Friends!
En travaillant et retravaillant mon "corrigé" je me suis rendu compte que cet exercice n'était vraiment pas facile ... et je vous félicite donc d'autant plus d'avoir travaillé vaillamment All my CONGRATS to all of you!
Voici donc ce corrigé. J'espère qu'il vous éclaircira les quelques points qui vous ont fait vous arracher quelques cheveux ... Pardonnez-moi d'être si exigeante avec vous ... J'espère ne pas avoir à financer trop de perruques pour ceux qui souffrent le plus ... j'espère que le 93 vous semblera moins difficile ... Bon courage and a double dose of THE FORCE.

Everyone has their own opinions about many a topic, but has to forget about them for the sake of the group. Not everyone can do it and at times, it’s difficult to bear that. / to cope with this.
- Everybody/ everyone + verbe au singulier MAIS PRONOM PLURIEL :revoir N°111782
- « opinions » prend la marque du pluriel ; chacun a son opinion, mais en considérant le groupe entier il y a de nombreuses opinions. (= 3 difficultés dans ce premier segment de phrase .)
- maints sujets = de nombreux sujets => many subjects/ topics // many a topic
- tout le monde ne peut pas = ATTENTION ! La négation porte sur le pronom et non pas, comme en français, sur le verbe.N° 105676
- to bear that/to cope with this/

He wanted to leave the country, which upset his mother. His girlfriend, whose plum job was a real passion for her, didn’t at all feel like following him abroad./ didn’t feel like settling with him abroad.
- Ce qui/ ce qui : lorsque la locution annonce des faits = WHAT; lorsqu’elle REPREND un verbe ou une proposition : = VIRGULE + WHICH = N° 109049.
- Bouleverser (est fort !) = to devastate/ to overwhelm/ move deeply/ upset (ATTENTION : to upset, I upset, upset.)
- un métier en or = un métier très convoité et qui rapporte bien ou/et est très intéressant. = golden job/ plum job
- « Sa petite amie, dont le métier… » => il y a ici un rapport de possession entre l’objet possédé = job et le possesseur = sa petite amie ; Formation = WHOSE + objet possédé SANS DETERMINANT ;
- avoir envie de = to feel like + V + ing

Karen was always crying these past days, and that got on her friends’ nerves; they couldn’t understand what was happening to her; more and more they were feeling like leaving her alone and wanted to stop taking care of her concerns.
- pleurait toujours = revoir la distinction entre “still” = encore et “again” = répétition N° 106674 ; ici, le passé en –ing + always convenait parfaitement puisqu’il indique la répétition irritante pour les autres : Karen kept crying/ was always crying/ was crying all the time/
- énerver = to annoy/ to irritate/ to get on someone’s nerves
- “Ce qui lui arrivait” = ce qui était en train de lui arriver au moment où l’on parlait => aspect progressif.
- “Mêle-toi de tes affaires” =”Mind your own business”// "concerns"

The events just reported/reviewed are purely fictional/ imaginary. Any resemblance to real facts would be purely coincidental.
- Comme certains l’ont noté, nous avons tous vu, lu et entendu ces mots qui figurent souvent à la fin (ou exceptionnellement au début) de séries, films ou même romans.

Yesterday’s applicant didn’t make a lasting impression on me. His knowledge of Economics leaves much to be desired, and he didn’t seem to master the basics of computer sciences. At the end of the interview, I felt quite dissatisfied. I can already hear you say “stop being finicky" or “stop biting the hand that feeds you", but I don’t want to leave anything to chance.
- “le candidat d’hier” : vous deviez, bien sûr, ici employer le génitif (cas possessif) temporel ou de durée = > tomorrow’s newspaper ; a week’s trip ; yersterday’s meeting. Revoir test N°108964.
- Faire forte impression = to make a lasting impression/ to impress someone
- “ses connaissances” = knowledge/ expertise/ TOUS DEUX INDENOMBRABLES => pas de –s ET verbe au singulier.
- l’Economie = Science des échanges = economics; l’économie d’un pays = economy.
- Le B-B ba = the basics of/ the bases of (singulier = a basis; pluriel = bases)
- l’informatique = Computer Science/ information technology/ IT/
- Lien internet

- Ne pas oublier l’emploi de “can” devant les verbes de perceptions involontaires.
- Faire la fine bouche = être difficile à satisfaire = To be hard to please/ to be choosy/ to be finicky/ to turn one’s nose up/
- le hasard = chance/ luck/ fate. "I want to explore all my options./don’t want to leave anything to chance".

Before asserting one thing or another, do think twice and make sure of what you're stating. That'll be a lot better, both for other people and for yourself too, won’t it?

- Affirmer = to assert/ to confirm/ to maintain/ to assure/ to affirm/ to state: "Before asserting one thing or another/ stating things loud and clear"/(le verbe contenait déjà la notion de “parler” et j’ai donc préféré éviter “before speaking” qui faisait vraiment “répétition”.(surtout si vous utilisiez 2 constructions en before + V + ing!)
- tourner la langue 7 fois dans la bouche = to think twice/ to think a lot/ to count to ten/
- “non?” est bien sûr exprimé par un tag ! Attention de bien reprendre le BON auxiliaire, celui que vous avez utilisé.

II) Translate into French:

C’étaient des objets onéreux qui lui avaient sans doute coûté chaque centime qu’il gagnait péniblement et économisait pour aller à l’université. Même en supposant qu’il ait assez pour cela, elle ne pouvait tout de même pas garder ses cadeaux. Les accepter n’était “pas bien”, et venant de lui, c’était en quelque sorte pire que “pas bien”.
Dans l’immédiat, elle voulut monter jusqu’à sa chambre et déposer les cadeaux à la porte, avec un mot, mais n’eut pas le coeur de le faire le soir même où il les lui avait offerts.
Le lendemain soir, après une journée de tourments, elle savait qu’elle devait les lui rendre ; maintenant, elle regrettait de ne pas l’avoir fait avant le coup de fil de Nat car elle aurait alors été plus détendue au téléphone.
Helen se mit à genoux et tendit le bras sous le lit pour attraper le carton de Frank contenant l’écharpe et le livre. Elle était émue qu’il lui ait donné de si jolies choses – bien plus jolies que quiconque l’avait jamais fait.
Comme plus beau cadeau, Nat lui avait offert une demi douzaine de petites roses de couleur rose.
Recevoir/ Accepter un cadeau n’est pas gratuit, pensa Helen. Elle inspira profondément, et prenant la boite, monta calmement l’escalier. Elle frappa doucement à la porte de Frank avec hésitation. Il avait reconnu son pas et attendait derrière la porte. Il avait les poings serrés; les ongles lui blessaient les paumes des mains.
L’Assistant.

Cette traduction en a vraiment dérouté certains … le style de l’auteur y est pour beucoup … Tout semble simple … On comprend, ou croit comprendre … mais lorsqu’il s’agit de le mettre en français FIDELE et ELEGANT (quel que soit le niveau de langue !), c’est une autre histoire …
- Attention, “College” est bien l’Université.
- “the next evening” ; si vous traduisez mot à mot “le soir suivant” ou “la soirée suivante”, vous calquez la construction anglaise, alors que vous connaissez tous : “le lendemain soir” (idem = “the following evening” ne sera pas “le soir suivant”, mais "le lendemain soir” et “the day after in the morning” ne sera pas “le jour d’après au matin”, mais “le lendemain matin”.
- she wished she had done it = elle souhaita l’avoir fait => "elle regretta de ne pas l’avoir fait”.
- “Helen got down on her hands and knees”...“she reached … for” : vous vous êtes imaginé Helen “allongée sous le lit”, “rampant par terre” ou “même “à quatre pattes sous le lit” (ouh là! ) alors qu’elle est “à genoux” et tend le bras sous le lit pour attraper (atteindre) le paquet caché sous son lit.
- Vous avez été gênés par : “Nat had produced a half dozen roses”. Certains se sont imaginés Nat (le “promis” d’Helen) jardinier en train de faire pousser des roses pour elle. Très romantique ! Mais il les avait simplement “données”, ou “apportées” et les avait choisies “roses”, même pas de roses rouges, couleur de la passion … et une demi-douzaine ... c’est mesquin …
- Cependant la faute la plus fréquente a été : “For gifts, you pay”. Helen disait simplement qu’un cadeau nous “oblige”, nous rend redevable … et qu’il n’est donc jamais “gratuit”. Triste conception du cadeau, non ?
- Finalement, n’oubliez pas que l'emploi des possessifs devant les parties du corps est un anglicisme : ("men came into the door with hats on their heads and pipes in their mouths." "My head aches." "My throat is burning…")

1). When the mother confronted her son, she reproached HIM FOR/ WITH NOT HELPING HER ENOUGH.
(to blame someone for something/ to reproach someone with/for something.)
The spy feared HIS FOOD MIGHT BE POISONED: MIGHT HAVE BEEN POISONED. (to fear + might/should)
Paul wished HE HAD ACCEPTED MY SUGGESTION. (I wish + past perfect = expression d’un regret.)
It’s BEEN TWO YEARS SINCE/ It’s TWO YEARS SINCE PHILIP AND DANIEL MET. (Certains ne supportent que le present perfect derrière une expression impersonnelle de durée.) En tout cas, le temps suivant doit être le prétérit qui indique que l’action est révolue.

Voilà ! De quoi travailler, réviser, faire des fiches pour certains ... Vous me ravissez ! Merci pour tout ce travail ... et votre enthousiasme toujours si sympathique!
Merci d'excuser tout typo restant ... Je relirai demain.

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum

Partager : Facebook / Twitter / ... 

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> COURS ET TESTS : Abréviations | Accords | Adjectifs | Adverbes | Alphabet | Animaux | Argent | Argot | Articles | Audio | Auxiliaires | Chanson | Communication | Comparatifs/Superlatifs | Composés | Conditionnel | Confusions | Conjonctions | Connecteurs | Contes | Contraires | Corps | Couleurs | Courrier | Cours | Dates | Dialogues | Dictées | Décrire | Démonstratifs | Ecole | Etre | Exclamations | Famille | Faux amis | Films | Formation | Futur | Fêtes | Genre | Goûts | Grammaire | Grands débutants | Guide | Géographie | Heure | Homonymes | Impersonnel | Infinitif | Internet | Inversion | Jeux | Journaux | Lettre manquante | Littérature | Magasin | Maison | Majuscules | Maladies | Mots | Mouvement | Musique | Mélanges | Méthodologie | Métiers | Météo | Nature | Nombres | Noms | Nourriture | Négations | Opinion | Ordres | Participes | Particules | Passif | Passé | Pays | Pluriel | Politesse | Ponctuation | Possession | Poèmes | Pronominaux | Pronoms | Prononciation | Proverbes | Prépositions | Présent | Présenter | Quantité | Question | Relatives | Sports | Style direct | Subjonctif | Subordonnées | Synonymes | Temps | Tests de niveau | Tous les tests | Traductions | Travail | Téléphone | Vidéo | Vie quotidienne | Villes | Voitures | Voyages | Vêtements

> NOS AUTRES SITES : Cours mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'allemand | Cours de français | Cours de maths | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Learn French | Learn English | Créez des exercices

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours et exercices d'allemand 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.