- Faire un lien

Recommandés :
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Future tense/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Future tense/help
Message from valori1906 posted on 19-11-2014 at 19:20:55 (D | E | F)
Hi everybody!

In a "key word transformation" exercise I found this sentence:
"In my opinion, they will definitely offer Ronnie that job he’s applied for."
"CERTAIN" is the key word to be used in the following sentence for the transformation (from 2 to 5 words included the key word):
"In my opinion, Ronnie is ___________________ offered that job he’s applied for."
This is the solution I thought of:
"In my opinion, Ronnie is for certain going to be offered that job he’s applied for."
Do you think it is correct? Are there other possible solutions?
Thank you so much!

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 19-11-2014 19:26
No red on the forum, thank you.

Re: Future tense/help from lucile83, posted on 19-11-2014 at 19:30:01 (D | E)
Hello

Your solution is quite good.

Re: Future tense/help from willy, posted on 19-11-2014 at 20:41:01 (D | E)
Hello,
You have been asked to use "certain", not "for certain".
Examples:
He's certain to get the job.
He's certain to be offered the job.

Re: Future tense/help from valori1906, posted on 19-11-2014 at 22:49:10 (D | E)
Hi!
"certain" must be used together with either 1 or 4 other words, whatever they are, including "for". It's the format in FCE examinations for Cambridge English Language Assessment. I used 5 words (for certain going to be), "offered" is in the first sentence, but the colour is wrong.
The point is that since you must write the second sentence giving it the same meaning as the first, if you say "Ronnie is certain to be offered" means that he knows, he's sure about that. But I read in the first sentence "In my opinion, they will definitely offer Ronnie..." which means that probably Ronnie doesn't know anything about it.
But anyway, I don't know if there are other possible solutions.
Thank you.

Re: Future tense/help from notrepere, posted on 19-11-2014 at 23:50:01 (D | E)
Hello

Oops, I made a mistake in my previous response. If you are required to use "for", I think your solution is OK.

Re: Future tense/help from lucile83, posted on 20-11-2014 at 00:00:17 (D | E)
Hello,

In your first message, I put the word 'offered' in black so that no confusion is possible.
The sentence:
In my opinion, Ronnie is ___________________ offered that job he’s applied for.
contains words that are important: in my opinion, and offered.
-In my opinion means that nothing has been decided yet but I am sure Ronnie will get the job.
-Offered must be kept as a past participle.
That's why I keep on saying your solution is good:
In my opinion, Ronnie is for certain going to be offered that job he’s applied for, which obeys the rule saying: (from 2 to 5 words included the key word). You added 5 words, it's ok.
Also:
In my opinion, Ronnie is for certain about to be offered that job he’s applied for.
In my opinion, Ronnie is for certain to be offered that job he’s applied for.

Other solutions (without For):
In my opinion, Ronnie is nearly certain to be offered that job he’s applied for.
In my opinion, Ronnie is almost certain to be offered that job he’s applied for.
In my opinion, Ronnie is possibly certain to be offered that job he’s applied for.

Hope this helps.

Re: Future tense/help from valori1906, posted on 20-11-2014 at 14:56:15 (D | E)
Hi Lucile! Thank you for reply.
I’m sorry if I’m boring you, but the point is that if you say "Ronnie is certain to be offered", it means that he knows he’ll get the job, he's sure about that. The meaning of the second sentence must be as similar as possible to the first and I read in the first sentence "In my opinion, they will definitely offer Ronnie..." which means that probably Ronnie doesn't know anything about it.
As to what notrepere says in his kind reply, I’m not required to use “for”, but since I must use “certain” and I can’t change this “key word” in the transformation, I couldn’t find other solutions but “for certain”.
Thank you so much!

Re: Future tense/help from bluestar, posted on 20-11-2014 at 15:47:59 (D | E)
Hello Valori,
I think there is a confusion here about the use of "certain" in the sentence "Ronnie is certain to be offered the job"..The "certainty" here relates to the offering of the job, not to Ronnie's state of mind about it. The sentence merely says, in effect, that the decision to offer him the job has been made; it doesn't say anything about Ronnie's state of mind. In order to mean what you take it to mean it would have to be "Ronnie is certain he will be offered the job"
I hope I haven't added to the confusion!

Re: Future tense/help from lucile83, posted on 20-11-2014 at 21:38:26 (D | E)
Hi valori

Read my message again please; I have always said the right sentence was:
In my opinion, Ronnie is for certain going to be offered that job he’s applied for....which is what you chose.

Re: Future tense/help from valori1906, posted on 20-11-2014 at 23:22:13 (D | E)
Thank you, Lucile, I was referring to the alternatives, like "In my opinion, Ronnie is for (nearly / almost / possibly, if I don't use "for") certain to be offered that job he’s applied for.

Thanks also to bluestar for leading me to link the meaning of "certain" to "destined", and not only "sure / convinced", which helps me in this transformation.

Bye!

Re: Future tense/help from kilted, posted on 08-12-2014 at 00:10:37 (D | E)
Hello,
In my opinion Ronnie is a certainty to be offered the new job.
Does this help you with your question?

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 08-12-2014 09:27

Re: Future tense/help from thepopcornick, posted on 08-12-2014 at 08:55:14 (D | E)
Hello
This might sound more grammatically correct: In my opinion, Ronnie is 'certainly going to be' offered that job he’s applied for."
Good Luck!

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 08-12-2014 09:29

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

Partager : Facebook / Twitter / ... 

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> COURS ET TESTS : Abréviations | Accords | Adjectifs | Adverbes | Alphabet | Animaux | Argent | Argot | Articles | Audio | Auxiliaires | Chanson | Communication | Comparatifs/Superlatifs | Composés | Conditionnel | Confusions | Conjonctions | Connecteurs | Contes | Contraires | Corps | Couleurs | Courrier | Cours | Dates | Dialogues | Dictées | Décrire | Démonstratifs | Ecole | Etre | Exclamations | Famille | Faux amis | Films | Formation | Futur | Fêtes | Genre | Goûts | Grammaire | Grands débutants | Guide | Géographie | Heure | Homonymes | Impersonnel | Infinitif | Internet | Inversion | Jeux | Journaux | Lettre manquante | Littérature | Magasin | Maison | Majuscules | Maladies | Mots | Mouvement | Musique | Mélanges | Méthodologie | Métiers | Météo | Nature | Nombres | Noms | Nourriture | Négations | Opinion | Ordres | Participes | Particules | Passif | Passé | Pays | Pluriel | Politesse | Ponctuation | Possession | Poèmes | Pronominaux | Pronoms | Prononciation | Proverbes | Prépositions | Présent | Présenter | Quantité | Question | Relatives | Sports | Style direct | Subjonctif | Subordonnées | Synonymes | Temps | Tests de niveau | Tous les tests | Traductions | Travail | Téléphone | Vidéo | Vie quotidienne | Villes | Voitures | Voyages | Vêtements

> NOS AUTRES SITES : Cours mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'allemand | Cours de français | Cours de maths | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Learn French | Learn English | Créez des exercices

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours et exercices d'allemand 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.