Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

Message de ISMAMERA posté le 2004-06-07 18:16:03 (S | E | F | I)
Hello , can we use American English with British English while writing articles or compositions ? Many thanks .

Réponse: re de hereiam, postée le 2004-06-07 18:38:55 (S | E)
well, I shall say no. either you write in British English or in American English...
Except for dialogues where you can get British English when depicting a British character speaking, or American English when depicting an American character (I mean context of use)

Réponse: re de mariet, postée le 2004-06-07 20:29:25 (S | E)
I agree (once more) with Hereiam. It could even be confusing when the meaning of a word or a phrase is different. Either one or the other but avoid mixing them.

Réponse: re de chrisg, postée le 2004-06-07 21:16:55 (S | E)
And I do say yes, although it's not something "pure", this is very very common in a worldwide environment, not focusing especially on a US or english Market, and when dealing with business or business-like items.
Ok, that's not "shakespeare in love" ... but ...

Réponse: re de hereiam, postée le 2004-06-07 21:34:01 (S | E)
well, I would say that Us English and GB English are sometimes quite different, and when starting to learn it is certainly not the best way to mix them...
Nevertheless working everyday in an "anglo-american environment" (multinationals, headquarters in the States, subsidiaries in Europe...) both communities really pay attention to what they write especially (so as this member asked: translation). I will not use the word "pure" to express those distinctions, but idioms, oral practise... us ...habits...
Never forget that any written langage function is a trace, a sort of footprint

Réponse: re de chrisg, postée le 2004-06-07 21:41:36 (S | E)
that's what I said, American and English do care about what they write.... OK. that's 2 countries. 2. Not the whole world and not the way english is written and spoken among ... well let's say ..."the Rest Of the World" .

Réponse: re de hereiam, postée le 2004-06-07 21:54:51 (S | E)
no comment, each of us will have understood what he/she wanted to. Many thanks for your reactivity!
So long

Réponse: re de thierry31, postée le 2004-06-08 13:52:26 (S | E)
chrisg , ( or someone else)
you said : American and English do care about what they write,
can you translate this sentence, please
thank you

thierry31

Réponse: To all de ISMAMERA, postée le 2004-06-08 13:57:38 (S | E)
thank you for your precious advices I'll take them into consideration . Bye .

Réponse: re to Thierry31 de norman, postée le 2004-06-08 15:31:52 (S | E)
>chrisg , ( or someone else)
you said : American and English do care about what they write,
can you translate this sentence, please
thank you

"Américains et Anglais sont vraiments attentifs à ce qu'ils écrivent"
Cheers

Réponse: to thierry 31 de ISMAMERA, postée le 2004-06-08 15:59:29 (S | E)
I think the answer is :The american and the english people are very carefull when they write .

the american and the english peolpe pay attention while writing .
But I'm not sure thierry . Bye .

Réponse: re de dolivera, postée le 2004-06-08 16:26:47 (S | E)
I don't think so you can use British english or American one but not both together.

Réponse: to dolivera de ISMAMERA, postée le 2004-06-08 21:52:01 (S | E)
thank you dolivera for your answer . Bye

Réponse: re to thierry de chrisg, postée le 2004-06-08 23:04:33 (S | E)
la trad de norman répond le mieux à ta question.

Réponse: re de babyscot59, postée le 2004-06-09 10:19:48 (S | E)
It may sound stupid ( I know) but at university my teachers tend to restrain the Use of American English, maybe is it unbecoming? For an Oral examination like Agregation or Capes, it sounds all the more important since American English sounds a bit colloquial ( does it?). Maybe Webmaster could answer to that very interesting Dilemma?

Cheers,

Babyscot

Réponse: re de virginia, postée le 2004-06-09 10:25:41 (S | E)
I don't know for everyday life but at the university the teachers prefer that we write in British English when we are in a British course of civilisation or literature and vice versa and they don't want a mixture because for them this two ways of writing in English are different.
Take care!

Réponse: to babyscot59 de ISMAMERA, postée le 2004-06-09 10:26:52 (S | E)
hello , babyscot 59 . Thank you for your answer . All other comments are welcomed . Bye

Réponse: re de gizm0, postée le 2004-06-09 12:48:03 (S | E)
well, if you are studying English why would you want to use the American language? If you want to use American expressions/words (...) you'd better study American & not English

Réponse: to gizmo de ISMAMERA, postée le 2004-06-10 22:20:36 (S | E)
I'm not studying English but I had courses for (perfectionnement )in the american institute and sometimes I use words ( A/E)without paying attention,someone told me that it was not correct .Bye

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux