Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

Message de nadia posté le 2004-05-07 11:01:17 (S | E | F | I)
"The fires were very close to us about ¼ of a mile"

quelle différence entre
-close to us et near of ? us

pour exprimer près de nous

Thanks for your answers

Réponse: re de nadia, postée le 2004-05-07 11:05:47 (S | E)
rectif sur l'orthographe

near to us

Réponse: re de chrisg, postée le 2004-05-07 11:17:37 (S | E)
parfois, ils sont synonymes (dans le sens de close : proche). Mais near couvre des aspects que close ne permet pas :

near couvre à la fois les aspect space et time, close se situe plus dans les aspect figurés.

Réponse: re de gizm0, postée le 2004-05-07 12:42:44 (S | E)
NEAR
WordNet Dictionary

Definition: [adv] (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished; `near' is sometimes used informally for `nearly' and `most' is sometimes used informally for `almost'; "the job is (just) about done"; "the baby was almost asleep when the alarm sounded"; "we're almost finished"; "the car all but ran her down"; "he nearly fainted"; "talked for nigh onto 2 hours"; "the recording is well-nigh perfect"; "virtually all the parties signed the contract"; "I was near exhausted by the run"; "most everyone agrees"
[adv] near in time or place or relationship; "as the wedding day drew near"; "stood near the door"; "don't shoot until they come near"; "getting near to the true explanation"; "her mother is always near"; "The end draws nigh"; "the bullet didn't come close"; "don't get too close to the fire"
[adj] not far distant in time or space or degree or circumstances; "near neighbors"; "in the near future"; "they are near equals"; "his nearest approach to success"; "a very near thing"; "a near hit by the bomb"; "she was near tears"; "she was close to tears"; "had a close call"
[adj] (comparative of `close') indicating the one of two that is the shorter distance away; "take the near street and ten turn right"
[adj] very close in resemblance; "sketched in an approximate likeness"; "a near likeness"
[adj] with or in a close or intimate relationship; "a good friend"; "my sisters and brothers are near and dear"
[adj] giving or spending with reluctance; "our cheeseparing administration"; "very close (or near) with his money"; "a penny-pinching miserly old man"
[adj] closely resembling the genuine article; "near beer"; "a dress of near satin"
[v] move towards; "We were approaching our destination"; "They are drawing near"; "The enemy army came nearer and nearer"

Synonyms: about, adjacent, all but, almost, approach, approximate, artificial, cheeseparing, close, close, closer, come near, come on, dear, draw close, draw near, go up, good, hot, just about, moral(a), most, nearby, nearer, nearest, nearly, neighbor, neighboring(a), neighbour, neighbouring(a), nigh, nigh, nighest, penny-pinching, stingy, ungenerous, unreal, virtually, warm, well-nigh

Antonyms: far

See Also: advance, bear down on, bear down upon, close, come, come up, crowd, drive up, edge in, edge up, go on, march on, move on, pass on, progress, push

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

Definition: \Near\ (n[=e]r), adv. [AS. ne['a]r, compar. of ne['a]h
nigh. See {Nigh}.]
1. At a little distance, in place, time, manner, or degree;
not remote; nigh.

My wife! my traitress! let her not come near me.
--Milton.

2. Nearly; almost; well-nigh. ``Near twenty years ago.''
--Shak. ``Near a fortnight ago.'' --Addison.

Near about the yearly value of the land. --Locke.

3. Closely; intimately. --Shak.

{Far and near}, at a distance and close by; throughout a
whole region.

{To come near to}, to want but little of; to approximate to.
``Such a sum he found would go near to ruin him.''
--Addison.

{Near the wind} (Naut.), close to the wind; closehauled.

\Near\, a. [Compar. {Nearer}; superl. {Nearest}.] [See
{Near}, adv.]
1. Not far distant in time, place, or degree; not remote;
close at hand; adjacent; neighboring; nigh. ``As one near
death.'' --Shak.

He served great Hector, and was ever near, Not with
his trumpet only, but his spear. --Dryden.

2. Closely connected or related.

She is thy father's near kinswoman. --Lev. xviii.

3. Close to one's interests, affection, etc.; touching, or
affecting intimately; intimate; dear; as, a near friend.

4. Close to anything followed or imitated; not free, loose,
or rambling; as, a version near to the original.

5. So as barely to avoid or pass injury or loss; close;
narrow; as, a near escape.

6. Next to the driver, when he is on foot; in the Unted
States, on the left of an animal or a team; as, the near
ox; the near leg. See {Off side}, under {Off}, a.

7. Immediate; direct; close; short. ``The nearest way.''
--Milton.

8. Close-fisted; parsimonious. [Obs. or Low, Eng.]

Note: Near may properly be followed by to before the thing
approached'; but more frequently to is omitted, and the
adjective or the adverb is regarded as a preposition.
The same is also true of the word nigh.

Syn: Nigh; close; adjacent; proximate; contiguous; present;
ready; intimate; dear.

\Near\, prep.
Adjacent to; close by; not far from; nigh; as, the ship
sailed near the land. See the Note under {near}, a.

\Near\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Neared}; p. pr. & vb. n
{Nearing}.] [See {Near}, adv.]
To approach; to come nearer; as, the ship neared the land.

\Near\, v. i.
To draw near; to approach.

A speck, a mist, a shape, I wist! And still it neared,
and neared. --Coleridge.
CLOSE TO
Matching Terms: close to the wind, close together(p), Close-tongued

WordNet Dictionary

Definition: [adv] (of quantities) imprecise but fairly close to correct; "lasted approximately an hour"; "in just about a minute"; "he's about 30 years old"; "I've had about all I can stand"; "we meet about once a month"; "some forty people came"; "weighs around a hundred pounds"; "roughly $3,000"; "holds 3 gallons, more or less"; "20 or so people were at the party"

Synonyms: about, approximately, around, just about, more or less, or so, roughly, some

Réponse: to gizm0 de nadia, postée le 2004-05-07 14:15:09 (S | E)
gizm0 tu m'a fait un copier coller du dictionnaire.
Si je demande la différence entre 3close to us et near to", c'est que je ne comprends pas toujours les définitions des dicos, qui sont souvent sont fastidieuses à lire et POMPEUSES, c'est pourquoi je demande un RACCOURCI en sollicitant votre aide.
Merci aussi à Chrisg

Réponse: TO CHRISG de nadia, postée le 2004-05-07 14:20:15 (S | E)
Peux-tu être un peu + explicite sur "les aspect figurés."

Réponse: re de gizm0, postée le 2004-05-07 14:25:33 (S | E)
je pensait que ca pouvait toujours aider
WordNet Dictionary est vraiment un tres bon dico (c'est pour cela que je l'ai cité)
nevermind

Réponse: re to gizmo de chrisg, postée le 2004-05-07 15:29:25 (S | E)
and what about to sum up ?

Réponse: re de hereiam, postée le 2004-05-07 19:22:15 (S | E)
I do agree! what a text!

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux