- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Faire un lien

Recommandés :
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Oral/Myths and Heroes (1)

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

Ce sujet est fermé. Vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponse.

Oral/Myths and Heroes
Message de flooz95 posté le 26-05-2015 à 16:21:06
Bonjour, la date des oraux approche et avant d'y passer, j'aurais voulu avoir un ou plusieurs avis concernant cette notion que j'ai choisi de présenter. C'est donc la notion myths and heroes.

We're going to deal with the notion myths and heroes. To begin with, I'd like to give a definition. A myth is a popular belief on which social values are often based while a hero can be someone who's ready to sacrifice his or her life in order to make things evolve positively.

In relation to the notion, the subject of my presentation will be the presence of heroes in our society. Therefore my issue at stake is “Are myths and heroes still alive in our society ?” and I will answer using the fight of certains women in order to get equals right between men and women.

My first document is an article from a newspaper called 'National post' dated from April 13, 2012, written by Sarah Boesveld.

My second document is a screenshot from a video showing the change during the life of a hero. A hero is a random somebody, starting from status quo who sees an opportunity for a journey. This hero goes through many trials to finally end in a crisis the hero will figure out. After this crisis, the hero will finally get retribution for what he has done and he will eventually return to his normal life.

We are going to see the way women made mentality change during the 19th century .

In the 19th century men over 21 were allowed to vote but women didn't have the right to vote at all. Indeed, it was commonly agreed that women were inferior to men and thus unable to take important decisions. By the end of the century, the Suffragette, was funded in reaction to this popular belief. Their goal was that women would be given a chance to prove themselves and then, a better education and then, the right to vote.

As we can see in the first document, in the 3rd paragraph, the order of the captain during the wreck of the RMS Titanic did not please the Suffragette. In reaction to this order, they protested. The order itself was a proof of this popular belief telling women are a more precious and vulnerable sex with no self-determination at all (as it's written line 9).

We will now see how the Suffragette managed to make people think women are men's equal. The suffragette started to take peaceful actions but it didn’t work, no one listened to them, it can be assimilated to the trials of my second document.

That’s the reason why, in 1903, a suffragette, Emmeline Pankhurst, and her two daughters decided to go one step further, even if it implied bypassing the law. 

Their motto was “deeds, not words !”. They broke shop windows, wrote on the walls, chained themselves in front of the Parliament… A lot of women were assaulted and arrested. Some went on hunger strikes but they were force fed.

The first martyr of this movement was Emily Davidson.  She ran in front of the King’s horse on Derby Day in June 1913. This shocking event marked a turning point in the struggle in so far as mentalities started to evolve, added to the fact that during the First World War, women had to do men’s jobs. In 1918, women over 30 were granted the right to vote. Ten years later (in 1928), women over 21 could vote. The Suffragettes’ movement sets a good example of how iconic figures, i.e. heroes, such as Emily Davidson were willing to sacrifice their lives to prove their demands were not foolish. It also shows how deeply-rooted some myths or beliefs are, which makes them even more difficult to debunk.

An extract from the film Made in Dagenham (2010) (my personal document) draws our attention to the fact that women were still officially discriminated in Great Britain in the second half of the 20th century. This extract takes place in a Ford car factory in London and stages underpaid women who demand equal pay to men. To be heard, they have decided to go on strike.  Their spokeswoman, Rita, tries to convince the Secretary of State for Employment, Mrs Castle, to guarantee an Equal Pay Act. Mrs Castle negotiates and suggests 75% of the man’s wages under the condition that the women go back to work. The fact that women were less paid than men for an equivalent job relied on the idea that when it was done by a woman, a task was less valuable. Once more, it took much determination to make mentalities evolve and to obtain official and legal recognition.

To conclude, we saw, through the examples of the Suffragettes and of industry workers, that women suffered from preconceived ideas and thanks to their will, some of them gradually made mentalities evolve to be given the chance to live in a more egalitarian society. These women may be considered as heroes which are still present in our society, I’m particularly thinking of Simone Veille who legalized the abortion if it’s medically needed, even though they were often despised at their times.

Je suis pas une bête en anglais donc je suis vraiment désolé pour les quelques fautes ^^'

Merci d'avance, bonne fin d'après midi

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 26-05-2015 19:05
Mise en forme à revoir.

Réponse: Oral/Myths and Heroes de gerondif, postée le 26-05-2015 à 16:28:39
Bonjour,
erreurs en bleu, corrections en vert
We're
going to deal with the notion myths and heroes. To begin with, I'd like to give
a definition. A myth is a popular belief on which social values are often based
while a hero can be someone who's ready to sacrifice his or her life in order
to make things evolve positively.

In
relation to the notion, the subject of my presentation will be the presence of
heroes in our society. Therefore my issue at stake is “Are myths and heroes
still alive in our society ?” and I will answer using the fight of certains
women in order to get equals right between men and women

My
first document is an article from a newspaper called "National post"
dated from April 13(the thirteenth), 2012, written by Sarah Boesveld.

My
second document is a screenshot from a video showing the change during the life
of a hero. A hero is a random somebody, starting from status quo who sees an
opportunity for a journey. This hero goes through many trials to finally end in
a crisis the hero will figure out. After this crisis, the hero will finally get
retribution for what he has done and he will eventually return to his normal
life.

We
are going to see the way women made mentalities change during the 19th century .

In the 19th century, men over 21 were allowed to
vote but women didn't have the right to vote at all. Indeed, it was commonly
agreed that women were inferior to men and thus unable to take important
decisions. By the end of the century, the Suffragette(au singulier, c'est un journal, sinon, c'est pluriel), was funded in reaction
to this popular belief. Their goal was that women would be given a chance to
prove themselves and then, a better education and then, the right to vote.

As we can see in the first document, in the 3rd
paragraph, the order of the captain during the wreck of the RMS Titanic did not
please the Suffragettes. In reaction to this order, they protested. The order
itself was a proof of this popular belief telling women are a more precious and
vulnerable sex with no self-determination at all (as it's written on line 9).

We will now see how the Suffragettes managed to
make people think women are men's equal. The suffragettes started to take
peaceful actions but it didn’t work, no one listened to them, it can be
assimilated to the trials of my second document.

That’s the reason why, in 1903, a suffragette,
Emmeline Pankhurst, and her two daughters decided to go one step further, even
if it implied bypassing the law.

Their motto was “deeds, not words !”. They broke
shop windows, wrote on the walls, chained themselves in front of the
Parliament… A lot of women were assaulted and arrested. Some went on hunger
strikes but they were force fed.

The first martyr of this movement was Emily
Davidson.(wikipedia donne Emily Wilding Davison (11 October 1872 – 8 June 1913) She ran in front of the King’s
horse on Derby Day in June 1913. This shocking event marked a turning point in
the struggle in so far as mentalities started to evolve, added to the fact that
during the First World War, women had to do men’s jobs. In 1918, women over 30
were granted the right to vote. Ten years later (in 1928), women over 21 could
vote. The Suffragettes’ movement sets a good example of how iconic figures,
i.e. heroes, such as Emily Davidson were willing to sacrifice their lives to
prove their demands were not foolish. It also shows how deeply-rooted some
myths or beliefs are, which makes them even more difficult to debunk.

An extract from the film Made in Dagenham (2010)
(my personal document) draws our attention to the fact that women were still
officially discriminated in Great Britain in the second half of the 20th
century. This extract takes place in a Ford car factory in London and stages
underpaid women who demand equal pay to men.
To be heard, they have decided to go on strike. Their spokeswoman, Rita, tries to convince
the Secretary of State for Employment, Mrs Castle, to guarantee an Equal Pay
Act. Mrs Castle negotiates and suggests 75% of the man’s wages under the
condition that the women go back to work. The fact that women were less paid
than men for an equivalent job relied (ne me parait pas convenir c'est se reposer sur quelqu'un compter sur quelqu'un)on the idea that when it was done by a
woman, a task was less valuable. Once more, it took much determination to make
mentalities evolve and to obtain official and legal recognition.

To conclude, we saw, through the examples of the
Suffragettes and of industry workers, that women suffered from preconceived
ideas and thanks to their will, some of them gradually made mentalities evolve
to be given the chance to live in a more egalitarian society. These women may
be considered as heroes which are still present in our society, I’m
particularly thinking of Simone Veille (c'est dommage d'esquinter son nom )
cf wikipediaSimone Veil, née Jacob le 13 juillet 1927 à Nice, est une femme politique française.

who legalized the abortion if it’s
medically needed, even though they ( ce sujet pluriel se raccorche à quoi, Simone est au singulier)were often despised at the time.
Ce texte s'écoute bien!

Réponse: Oral/Myths and Heroes de flooz95, postée le 26-05-2015 à 18:41:32
Merci beaucoup pour cette rapide correction ! J'espère ne pas avoir une note trop trop mauvaise !

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponse.

Partager : Facebook / Twitter / ... 

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> COURS ET TESTS : Abréviations | Accords | Adjectifs | Adverbes | Alphabet | Animaux | Argent | Argot | Articles | Audio | Auxiliaires | Chanson | Communication | Comparatifs/Superlatifs | Composés | Conditionnel | Confusions | Conjonctions | Connecteurs | Contes | Contraires | Corps | Couleurs | Courrier | Cours | Dates | Dialogues | Dictées | Décrire | Démonstratifs | Ecole | Etre | Exclamations | Famille | Faux amis | Films | Formation | Futur | Fêtes | Genre | Goûts | Grammaire | Grands débutants | Guide | Géographie | Heure | Homonymes | Impersonnel | Infinitif | Internet | Inversion | Jeux | Journaux | Lettre manquante | Littérature | Magasin | Maison | Majuscules | Maladies | Mots | Mouvement | Musique | Mélanges | Méthodologie | Métiers | Météo | Nature | Nombres | Noms | Nourriture | Négations | Opinion | Ordres | Participes | Particules | Passif | Passé | Pays | Pluriel | Politesse | Ponctuation | Possession | Poèmes | Pronominaux | Pronoms | Prononciation | Proverbes | Prépositions | Présent | Présenter | Quantité | Question | Relatives | Sports | Style direct | Subjonctif | Subordonnées | Synonymes | Temps | Tests de niveau | Tous les tests | Traductions | Travail | Téléphone | Vidéo | Vie quotidienne | Villes | Voitures | Voyages | Vêtements

> NOS AUTRES SITES : Cours mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'allemand | Cours de français | Cours de maths | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Learn French | Learn English | Créez des exercices

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours et exercices d'allemand 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.